Tuesday, September 13, 2011

BYU Hawaii

During my BYUI off track in the fall of 2007 I went to BYU-Hawaii.  Getting into school was quite a challenge...I had applied to the school for that fall, but was rejected because I turned in the application way late.  I had heard from a few sources though, that even if they reject your application, go anyway.  Then ask them in person to reconsider allowing me into the school, and they'll let you in. I wanted to do that, but I had another problem...housing.  It was very difficult to find, and by the time I was looking, they were all filled.  I looked and looked, and there was nothing available within walking distance. 

So, about one or two weeks before school started in Hawaii, a space in the student housing close to campus opened (It was one of the nicest and most expensive apartments available btw- literally right on bikini beach.) I quickly grabbed it, and started making plans to go.  I must have been feeling brave, because I knew no one out there, wasn't accepted into school, and had no job.


After a ton of persuasion and work, I was accepted into school...about a week late.  I know that it was the Lord helping me to be able to get into school, because it was definitely not the administration.  Eventually though, they gave in and let me into school.  I remember the administration asking for a letter explaining why they should let me in to school.  I told them I was happy to provide them with an explanation, but I had no access to a printer.  They refused to let me use one of the schools' printers, and would not accepting an e mailed copy.  When I asked what they suggest I do, they said I would have to hand write it!  So, I hand wrote the letter, on a piece of notebook paper!  I was horrified.  I even had to cut the edges off because it didn't even have a notebook with a perferated edge. I felt like I was writing a note to my 1st grade teacher.  

I only went to school part time there, 5 credits.  I took kinesiology and some education class...they were the only classes that would transfer back to BYUI.  I started working at the 'caf' then also got a job catering on campus, and also started working at Subway.  I spent most of my time working at the cafeteria though, the other two jobs were just here and there.

I also joined the cheerleading/dance team.  They needed tumblers, so I joined.  We were horrible, but it was fun.  By the end of the semester, I wanted to stay in Hawaii because I liked it so much, and I found out that BYUI had stopped offering my major.  When I prayed about it though, I felt like I needed to go back to Rexburg. Now I know that its because I needed to get to student teaching down in SL to meet James.
Mom & Dad came down & visited for Thanksgiving- PCC 2007

Celebrating the big win with Pricilla, Darcy, & Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment