Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Medical School

James had five interviews. Lake Eerie, Pennsylvania, where he visited Jon & Jennifer; Bradenton, FL, where we both went, and visited Jeff and Poly; Kansas City, MI; and two in Phoenix. 
Sporting the new suit
and the new 'stache


Walking with Jon & Jen at Lake Eerie

     James was accepted into 2 schools- one in Bradenton, FL (Lake Eerie College of Osteopathic Medicine), and Midwestern, in Glendale.  I was able to go to both of these interviews with him.  We went to FL first, and had a great vacation.  We were able to visit Jeff and Polly, go to the beach, and have a blast.  When we went to Bradenton on the day of the interview, I was geared up to see and explore our new (possible) home.  While we were there, however, I felt no excitement, and no connection at all to Bradenton.  I was almost sure that it wasn't going to be the place where we would be.  This was a surprise to me, because before I was there, I'd been daydreaming about living by the beach, the beautiful & clear water, the humid weather, and picturing that I would love every minute of it.
on the plane

Sammy, Benson & Jackson were happy to be reunited since the pre-existance


Manatee viewing area



Sea World- almost exactly year after the whale killed one of the trainers

Benson after his sunburn
 Our canoeing trip through alligator infested waters near Tampa, FL.  We saw over 20 alligators in the wild.  Our tour guide said they've been doing this for 20 years and have never had any attacks. Still though, I don't know what we were thinking!!!


      Before we went to Glendale, I didn't think that I wanted to live in AZ.  The thought of 110+ degree weather made me sick to my stomach.  After his interview though, I was certain that that was the school we should choose- just because of everything that James was describing to me.  He said that the interview went perfectly- way better than his other interviews.  He said that the school had all of these things that I had wanted- housing close to the school, intermural sports teams, a large LDS population, etc.  Another thing that I liked about it was that it was within driving distance of home.  
      James had a much different experience- in his mind, everything was pointing him to FL.  The tuition was much cheaper there, he loved the team approach they had to teaching the material, he would be by his brother, etc.  His parents strongly encouraged him to go to FL as well.  
      James was torn because he felt like logically, everything pointed him to FL.  However, the Lord kept telling him Midwestern.  The spirit wasn't shouting it though, so James really struggled to make a decision.  After praying about it, he felt like Midwestern was the right place, but then kept questioning himself because he couldn't quite let go of all of the 'perks' of FL.   Luckily though, once he made his decision, he felt great about it.  I, on the other hand, always wanted to go to Midwestern and not to FL.  After James's interview in FL, I knew I didn't want to go there, and knew somehow that we wouldn't be going there.  It is interesting to see how the spirit works!  So, I'm not sure why, but we were definitely led to Midwestern.

No comments:

Post a Comment